Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
April 2014
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Do you beleive what Character Options say?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you beleive what Character Options say?

Post by Admin on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Co told us no classic Doctors, no companions, no 2nd Doctor in fur coat & no 5" figures from Series 7.
We have classic Doctors & companions and likely to get a 2nd Doctor in fur coat.

Admin
Admin

http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Do you beleive what Character Options say?

Post by Dalek on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:37 pm

I do believe them sometimes, but most of the time, I just think they're trying to cover it up so the new release will be more of a surprise. I also remember reading them saying they wouldn't do any classic TARDISes, and look how many of them we have now! So that is proof that not everything they say is true. Of course, I always like it to be true when they hint at a new figure, but never like it to be true when they say they will never do a certain figure.

Dalek
The Third Doctor's TARDIS
The Third Doctor's TARDIS

Back to top Go down

Post by whotothecore on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:29 pm

They want the wow/surprise factor but keep releasing teasers through social media which fuels speculation. The Abominable Snowman figure a possible duo for the Toughton figure was accidentally aired to the public a year or so back and disappeared without trace. Surely they are aware with wants being discussed and the wishes and wants of fans and yes I know It's down to cost and actual ability to make a toy but with what's recently been made I think anything fans want would be straight forward for designers/manufactures so conceive. Smile 

whotothecore
The Sixth Doctor's TARDIS

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:55 pm

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whotothecore on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:01 am

This news of new figures is good if you want current era sets but not good if you want classic sets. No wonder there's delays when they're snowed under with other designes from the Matt Smith era..

whotothecore
The Sixth Doctor's TARDIS

Back to top Go down

Post by Obi-Jiff Kenobi on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:02 pm

Purely speculation on my part, but I suppose it is possible that sometimes they announce items which the retailers then don't show much interest in, so they drop them from the production plans, then we get all indignant about such a brilliant figure/set/whatever not being made, and CO decide that maybe there is a market for it after all, so they re-instate it to the production schedule. At least, I'm hoping that's what's happening with the much-rumoured and supposedly cancelled figures of Jamie and the Yeti.

Obi-Jiff Kenobi
9th Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:05 pm

That is what has happened to the second 11 Doctors set, not enough interest from retailers. I see Mr Fusion said B&W companions are difficult to see overseas as they are least well known. By now I am sure that most US fans know who he is, maybe I am wrong.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Admin wrote:That is what has happened to the second 11 Doctors set, not enough interest from retailers. I see Mr Fusion said B&W companions are difficult to see overseas as they are least well known. By now I am sure that most US fans know who he is, maybe I am wrong.

The problem is the people commissioning the figures just happen to be based in a certain country that refused to air 60s Doctor Who on the grounds that black and white television was inferior and didn't deserve their air time.

To say it's just "overseas" is rubbish, the problem is the US, most countries wouldn't have a problem with it.

The Eternal Dalek
Dalek Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:43 pm

But the US and other countries are aware of the old episodes. I remember when DWToys did an interview with CO years ago and they said the B&W episodes are not very popular & not many watch them on UK Gold so earlier Doctors would not be made...times change!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:57 pm

Admin wrote:But the US and other countries are aware of the old episodes. I remember when DWToys did an interview with CO years ago and they said the B&W episodes are not very popular & not many watch them on UK Gold so earlier Doctors would not be made...times change!

Does it really matter what other countries think? Besides a few isolated cases (and even then they are probably buying via another seller) all of their sales will be in the UK and the US so other countries having seen it really doesn't matter (although most of them DID see it which is rather crucial).

Plus, to be going around saying earlier Doctors would not be made purely of the back of UK Gold repeats (which if I am correct stopped airing regularly in 2006 long before their classic range had even started) is a bit ridiculous. In terms of mass public awareness more people know William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton were the Doctor than Sylvester McCoy or Colin Baker, so they haven't really got an excuse there (although the popularity of 3-5 cannot be ignored).

The Eternal Dalek
Dalek Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:31 pm

I think they were pointing out that not many people watch the B&W episodes then. Now people really enjoy them.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:24 am

Admin wrote:I think they were pointing out that not many people watch the B&W episodes then. Now people really enjoy them.

I think it was just an excuse frankly. I just don't believe what they say when they deny things because when they deny them it is always an outright "We'll never make a 'X' figure" and you have to turn around and say, this range could be going for another twenty years for all you know, what gives you the right to stop people from ever making a 'X' figure?

The Eternal Dalek
Dalek Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:02 am

One thing that I would of thought CO would have done is to have a special set for the anniversary.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Obi-Jiff Kenobi on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:18 am

Yes, the lack of something really special that relates to 50 years of Doctor Who is a bit noticeable. Perhaps they should have held the 11 Doctors set over until this year, it would have been the ideal anniversary gift.

Incidentally, on a related note, I understand the proposed second 11 Doctors set was cancelled due to lack of retailer interest, as it was too similar to the first set - do you think CO should now propose a 12 Doctors set, in 5" scale, with all-new exclusive Peter Capaldi figure? It might be different enough to get them ordering.

Obi-Jiff Kenobi
9th Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:47 am

Yes, try a 12 Doctors set. But we won't see the new Doctor until at least August next year. Hopefully CO will be given details of his costume.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Obi-Jiff Kenobi on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:51 am

The new Doctor will appear in the 2013 Christmas special, but I imagine it will be right at the end, and in the 11th's clothes. So, a new headsculpt, bung it on the 5" 11th figure and Robert is the brother of your father.

Last edited by Obi-Jiff Kenobi on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Speeling mistoke)

Obi-Jiff Kenobi
9th Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:00 am

They could do what they did when Tennant left, two figures one being the newly regenerated Doctor.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:49 am

Maybe somebody should ask UT to commission one, its probably the best we'll get. That or keep buying the TRU sets and hope they commission even more.

The Eternal Dalek
Dalek Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:53 am

Al Dewar has said no 5" 12th Doctor! So we have 11 5" Doctors and soon be a 12th in 3.75", disappointing.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Obi-Jiff Kenobi on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:07 pm

But if you don't believe what they say (and they often contradict their own statements), there's no need to panic yet.

Obi-Jiff Kenobi
9th Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:11 pm

As I said elsewhere, they'll do it if somebody commissions it. For that there must be demand, but CO clearly think there isn't any. On the other hand TRU clearly do (otherwise they wouldn't have commissioned those extra two sets).

The Eternal Dalek
Dalek Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:27 pm

I think TRU see it as a way of bringing new customers to their stores, a good way to do it as well.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Admin wrote:I think TRU see it as a way of bringing new customers to their stores, a good way to do it as well.

Indeed. Keep the sales up and they'll keep getting exclusives and their target audience is "traditionally" expected not to be interested in older Doctors so either they'd commission more modern characters (which we won't get elsewhere), or they'd commission the older ones down to surprise at how well they've done.

The Eternal Dalek
Dalek Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:40 pm

Well they are covering all the 11 Doctors. I know people think £19.99 is a lot and it is but its only £10 a figure. 5" figures cost around that much when they were being made.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 pm

Admin wrote:Well they are covering all the 11 Doctors. I know people think £19.99 is a lot and it is but its only £10 a figure. 5" figures cost around that much when they were being made.

I'd say £20 is very reasonable at the moment for the two figures, especially an exclusive. Compare it to even the early FP exclusives and it is still quite cheap. While it could get a bit expensive if you want to buy every single one of them, there haven't been many other figures out this year in the 5'' scale anyway so you can't really complain there.

Having a look through the figures, their weakest figures were in the first wave and they all did very well. All the other sets contain variants of some kind, although not big changes in some cases (like The Five Doctors Dalek, which has been accredited to the wrong story for some reason).

The Eternal Dalek
Dalek Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:16 am

The Five Doctors Dalek is not the one in the Resurrection set. It had red light in publicity shots.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top