Keywords

Latest topics
» Parliament of the Daleks Set
Yesterday at 19:06 by dalek fifty

» LastOfTheSonics' Fan Series
Sat 14 Oct 2017 - 9:22 by Dalek

» Unreleased Brigadier figure
Fri 13 Oct 2017 - 14:13 by Admin-Emperor Dalek

» Doctor Who series 10 complete box set.
Fri 13 Oct 2017 - 11:41 by Admin-Emperor Dalek

» Shada animated out on DVD & Blu ray 4th December.
Tue 10 Oct 2017 - 10:08 by LastOfTheSonics

» Series 11 episode reduction?
Tue 10 Oct 2017 - 9:46 by Admin-Emperor Dalek

» Journey's Beginning
Tue 10 Oct 2017 - 8:33 by Dalek

» Trevour Martin 1930-2017
Sun 8 Oct 2017 - 21:02 by Admin-Emperor Dalek

» BBC Worldwide announce new products.
Fri 6 Oct 2017 - 17:27 by LastOfTheSonics

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

The most tagged keywords

Class Officially Cancelled

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Class Officially Cancelled

Post by Dalek on Thu 7 Sep 2017 - 19:28

I'm sure most of you have heard the news by now that spin-off 'Class' has officially been cancelled. I loved the show, so this is a crushing blow for me, and I'm not sad it's ended but genuinely angry at how a show which could have been marvellous was treated so appallingly, so if you don't mind, I'm going to use this post for a giant rant on all the reasons 'Class' unfortunately met its demise.

Advertising-The advertising for the show was truly appalling, as is the whole idea of BBC Three moving online. Yes, young people are watching TV online, but BBC Three isn't their go to channel-in other words, they'll watch it if it's on, it's not the kind of programme people actively search out. BBC iPlayer is an awful service, I can't watch a thing on it without buffering. Furthermore, the decision to air the repeats at 22.45 on a Monday night was insane. A 7, 8, 9 slot on BBC 2 or something would have pulled in far more viewers-people aren't going to stay up late to try a show they've never watched.

Merchandising-Merchandise is one of the biggest forms of advertising a show can have-people go to the shops, that's a fact of life, and if they see lots of merchandise, they're going to know about the show. That's how there wasn't a single person on Earth who didn't know the new Star Wars was out in 2015. For Class, we got a DVD and three books-where were even the little things like posters, postcards, badges, etc?

Formatting-As good as the actual content of the show was, the formatting was a mess. Given that it was a monster of the week show, we only really had one episode of this, Nightvisiting. Yes, there was TCWTDT as well but that was mainly a sequel to the first episode rather than straight up monster hunting. Then, we had a rather dull two parter in the middle which would have been better as two single parters, and a three part finale which, whilst very experimental, which I applaud it for, they didn't really have the episode count to spare for it. They should have commissioned an individual pilot episode, taken fan reactions and ironed out the creases for a longer full series.

Characterisation-My one problem with the show itself was the characterisation at times. The Shadowkin, whilst the main villains, had their backstory made up episode by episode, and with being in half the episodes, the viewers got bored of them. In addition, some of the speech felt unrealistic-being a college student at the time, I can guarantee there were things in that first episode no teenager would EVER say, which made it at times condescending. Also, they did this weird practice of making sure every character got an individual episode which, whilst making sure we all connected to each character, at the start, this left a few feeling underdeveloped.

Who-The main link to the show was rather weak. In cases, this was a benefit, but when a show is a Doctor Who spin off, there needs to be more of a link that the Doctor popping up, a headteacher and a Weeping Angel. Couldn't at least one of the students have popped up with Clara in Series 8 or 9? Also, I don't know why they put Capaldi in the first episode-I get he's the incumbent, but people my age haven't connected with him at all, which seems a mistake given they're the age range. Matt Smith would work in the timeline, and he's much more popular than Capaldi-if he'd have been advertised to be in it, think of the extra viewers!

Sorry for the rant, and if it seems uncoordinated at times, I just really needed to talk. Thanks for reading, it took me 10 minutes!

Last edited by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Thu 7 Sep 2017 - 22:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding picture)
Dalek
The Ninth Doctor's Tardis

Back to top Go down

Re: Class Officially Cancelled

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Thu 7 Sep 2017 - 20:39

Oh bummer. I was truly holding out for a second season as well. Well I guess we'll never see the arrival then. As upsetting as this is, the fact that viewing figures in the US were around 0.3 million (300,000) kind of said something.
LastOfTheSonics
The Sixth Doctor's TARDIS

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Thu 7 Sep 2017 - 22:28

It was a good idea but no promotion at all, the only promotion of the series I saw was on ITVs This Morning when Katherine Kelly was a guest.
This from the Radio Times:

The BBC has officially confirmed that its Doctor Who spin off Class will not be returning for another series.

The drama, written by Young Adult author Patrick Ness, attracted lukewarm reviews when it was shown on BBC3 and in a late night slot on BBC1. Ness has already said he wasn’t writing any more episodes.

However the show had not formally been decommissioned – until today that is, when hopes that the series could continue were finally dashed by BBC3 controller Damian Kavanagh.

Asked by RadioTimes.com whether it would be coming back, Kavanagh said, “No, no.”

“There was nothing wrong with it,” he added. “I thought Patrick did a great job, he explored an amazing world. In honesty it didn’t really land for us on BBC3; some shows don’t and I have to make decisions about what we’re going to do from a drama point of view, and what we did after Class was Clique which worked really well for us.”

The drama centred around Coal Hill School, the modern-day incarnation of the educational establishment which featured in the first episode of Doctor Who, and which has been a location in a number of subsequent stories.

Peter Capaldi’s Doctor appeared in episode one of the show to explain to the classmates their important role in protecting Earth due to a tear in the universe located at the school.

The main characters included Ram, April (Sophie Hopkins), Tanya (Vivian Oparah) Charlie (Greg Austin) and alien teacher Miss Quill (Katherine Kelly).

Last edited by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Thu 7 Sep 2017 - 22:31; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding BBC statment.)
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top