free forum

The most tagged keywords

"See the universe anew"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"See the universe anew"

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Mon 3 Jul 2017 - 16:57

This whole concept was outright stupid:

Moffat proposes this series a place for new fans to join. So what he does is:

-Brings back the very first Cybermen from way back in the 60s. 
-Reintroduces Missy through a flashback seen which will make no sense to a new viewer.
-Brings back an old incarnation of the Master.
-Makes a montage of people saying "Doctor", most of these people new viewers won't even know.
-Gives new viewers the impression that the Doctor can choose when he regenerates and that he can prevent it. Neither of which he actually can do.
-Brings back the very first Doctor, leaving new viewers to wonder "What on earth kind of an ending was that? Who's that bloke from Harry Potter and why is he here?"
-Gives a cameo to Alpha Centauri, who new viewers will be thinking "What the heck is that thing?"
-Classic sonic screwdrivers appear in the Pilot. New viewers will be thinking "What are they?"
-Only people who saw Series 9 will understand why the Doctor decided not to mind-wipe Bill.
-All three of the main characters are leaving the show and won't be back for the next series.
-New viewers won't have clue about why Nardole is such an odd character.

Now I'm not saying all these elements should've been removed, quite the opposite in fact. I think they should've teased the following series as where new viewers could join, since this is where the new cast would be joining, and it would mean new viewers wouldn't be able to compare two main casts, and say that Capaldi's one was better and then stop watching the show. Had they've done this feature next series, new viewers would grow with both a new Doctor and a companion or companions. If the rumours are true about Chibnall only wanting new monsters for Series 11, then that's another reason to have used this feature next year.
LastOfTheSonics
The Sixth Doctor's TARDIS

Back to top Go down

Re: "See the universe anew"

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Tue 4 Jul 2017 - 11:25

Except none of those hold up under any sort of scrutiny. Everything necessary is explained in the relevant episodes (might need to wait to Episode 12 to get full clarification on who John Simm is playing of course but in the age of the internet that's not going to take much, it was in every newspaper going after all with a full explanation as to what happened) or wouldn't be relevant to a new viewer (if they don't know what a sonic screwdriver is, they aren't going to care why there's a dozen of them lying around).

Worth noting regeneration absolutely can be controlled, and there's countless examples of it out there. Destiny of the Daleks had a big scene devoted to Romana messing around with potential bodies.
The Eternal Dalek
NUWHO Davros

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Tue 4 Jul 2017 - 16:23

But did Romana use it to destroy a fleet of Daleks? Or use it pointlessly without any injuries and then cut it off half way through? (The Lie of the Land).

Movellans weren't explained in Episode 1, new viewers were probably thinking why is there a Boney M. tribute band here?

Alpha Centauri is never explained in Episode 9, that's purely nostalgia.

All three of the main characters are still leaving anyway...
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Tue 4 Jul 2017 - 20:37

Haha Boney M tribute band...
What is this about John Simm? He isn't coming back again?
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Tue 4 Jul 2017 - 20:39

I doubt he will come back again, but the point I meant to make was that new viewers will most likely not know his character and will be slightly confused with the whole Missy-Master thing.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Tue 4 Jul 2017 - 20:41

Some fans thought David Bradley was the new Doctor. Really, people should know their Doctors.
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Tue 4 Jul 2017 - 21:06

Admin-Emperor Dalek wrote:Some fans thought David Bradley was the new Doctor. Really, people should know their Doctors.

That's another point. New viewers aren't going to know that he was the First Doctor, and with the whole episode being about regeneration, some would probably assume he's the next one along. Especially considering the whole "You may be a doctor, but I am the Doctor" line.

Although on the unlikely contrary, what if he actually is the next Doctor as well? To quote a certain Curator, "You might find yourself revisiting a few, but just the old favourites 'ey?" The first doctor probably is one of the old favourites considering he was the first one. Not to mention the 13th doctor was announced as being cast no long before filming began for the Christmas Special.

But that is picking at straws.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Tue 4 Jul 2017 - 23:01

New viewers could look it up..When I was a kid, I started watching Doctor Who from Pertwee, by Tom Baker I knew there were other Doctors, that was long before the internet.
The line is, I am the Doctor, the original you might say. Originally from The Five Doctors.
If you avoided all references to the past that would make the show dull. Take Earthshock, when the Cybermen are looking at their scope and previous Doctors appear, a new viewer would not know who they were you could say, but it was part of the story.
Say I tuned into Eastenders now, who are all these people? I don't know the story lines, but say someone is having an affair, would I be expected to know the ins and out? No, but I would eventually follow it and could reference the net.
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 7:14

Yes but it's more difficult now with more doctors and with the addition of the War Doctor it just makes it messy. Yes you're right eventually new viewers will work it out,but with things like the old Cybermen, there won't be any shock factor as such even if they do know what they are.

Mondas Cybermen... In fact no Cybermen had the ability to fly until 2013, which kind of gives new viewers the wrong impression that flying was a part of their biomechanics from the start. It's a small thing, but the smallest details can mislead a new viewer.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 9:29

Oh the flying Cybermen is rubbish, more like Iron Man, along with the stomping.
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top