Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

The most tagged keywords

"The Doctor Falls" - Episode 12

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"The Doctor Falls" - Episode 12

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Mon 26 Jun 2017 - 20:52

Starring Peter Capaldi, Matt Lucas, Michelle Gomez and John Simm in the epic season finale of Series 10. This will be an hour-long special. Pearl Mackie could possibly make a cameo appearance, however she is definitely not reprising her role for the following series.

Mondasian, Cybus and Cyberiad cybermen are all confirmed for this episode. Considering this takes place at the time of "Spare Parts" (pre-"The Tenth Planet"), it's sort of confusing as to why there are modern Cybermen as well. I presume it's because of time passing differently throughout the ship, but it still doesn't make sense considering that this is their Genesis story.

I'm hoping that we're going to see other Cybermen designs. Namely the Wheel and Revenge ones. I will actually be quite dissatisfied if they have the very first cybermen and then suddenly the very latest, completely missing out all the classic designs in between.

I think we will see the Master's regeneration into whoever came after him. Possibly Missy, possibly an incarnation between the two of them like with the 8th and 9th Doctors there was the War Doctor in between.

I feel as though they've given away all "shock factor" with this episode after spoiling the return of the Cybermen and the Master. Not to mention the trailer seems to heavily suggest that both the Master and Missy will eventually settle their better conscience and stand with the Doctor against the Cybermen.

LastOfTheSonics
The Sixth Doctor's TARDIS

Back to top Go down

Re: "The Doctor Falls" - Episode 12

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Mon 26 Jun 2017 - 20:53

LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalek on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 7:29

Judging from the explosion in the trailer, I think all the new cybermen will be destroyed leaving only the originals.
Dalek
The Ninth Doctor's Tardis

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 19:11

If that happens to be the case, it would seem like a slightly anti-climatic and plot-dictated ending. Considering this is the Genesis of the Cybermen, it still doesn't make sense for them to be here anyway. It kind of ruins the Cybermen's evolution.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sat 1 Jul 2017 - 19:55

I loved this episode. It was one of the best in terms of both finales and cybermen stories. The Master, Missy, Nardole, Cyber-Bill, the Doctor and Hazran perfected their roles in this episode. Alit was also a great supporting character, although it took me a while to warm to her.

Missy's sonic umbrella? Wow. That was pretty cool.

The saucy innuendo when Missy had the Master against the wall was cheeky, yet comedic at the same time amidst all the high-emotion during this episode.

The transfer between Bill's perception and her true self was done emotionally, with the mirror just setting the strength of that scene in motion.

Heather's return at the end was unexpected to be honest, but it was nice to have the whole series come full-circle.

And of course, David Bradley's cameo... Now for me personally, this was no surprise as a family friend of mine who lives near Llanharan (the filming location for the Christmas Special this year) had sent us a photo of David Bradley on set, so I knew it was coming.

The Cybermen were shown as powerful in this episode, and I'm so glad that for once... they actually won! Sure the Doctor's sacrifice postponed them, but they are still winning the war as eventually they will make it to Nardole and Hazran.

Loved the regeneration mashup. I caught elements of the Fifth, Tenth, Third, Eleventh and First Doctor's regenerations in that TARDIS scene.

"Would you like a jellybaby?" Need more be said about this point?

The fact that the Master would rather kill himself than stand with the Doctor shows just how ruthless he is. And when he killed Missy, I was shocked. 

So that's all the good stuff, now it's time for the negatives about this episode...

The Master's TARDIS was continually mentioned throughout, and I was really hoping we would actually get to see it. Even if it was just a little bit different from the Doctor's one. I was disappointed how they kept on teasing it and then never delivered. 

Plot Armour - The Master had complete plot armour because of Missy. Considering there was mass-production of Cybermen taking place on the floors beneath, I don't understand how an injured Master could have staggered his way through to the TARDIS without getting stopped.

So the Cybermen were evolving quicker because of how time passes, fine, no problems there. But why in that case do we not get to see any of the designs in between? We see the earliest, and then the latest. That makes no sense.

That also raises another problem. Shouldn't all the Cybermen technically be the latest design? I get perhaps they were converting on different floors being the reason why some were Mondasian and some were later, but the Hospital Floor definitely had multiple designs on it.

Why aren't there any Cyberleaders? There was even a Cyberleader on set for this episode, so where is it?

1 Doctor vs Thousands of Cybermen. All of which have ranged weapons, even the Mondasian ones. So why don't ANY of them shoot the Doctor even at point-blank range? It literally takes one Cyberman with an obviously increased IQ level to decide to use its gun.

I preferred the potential this episode had in the first 5 minutes. Two Masters in control of a Cyber-legion seemed like a far more interesting concept than a tiny band of people living on a farm defending themselves. Although on the positive side, the actual episode still was played out pretty well considering.

At the end of last episode, we learned that this was the GENESIS of the Cybermen. Yet in this episode, that whole point seems to just be completely forgotten about. It seemed that now the story was focused on the Doctor trying to ally Missy with himself against a deadly threat.

And possibly the most aggravating point of all, even more aggravating than trying to spell aggravating, FAKE REGENERATION! The concept of regeneration is the Doctor RENEWS himself. No its, no buts. Yet he has stopped it about FIVE TIMES this series! If the Doctor could prevent himself from changing, then why didn't the 2nd doctor do this against the Time Lords? Or the 10th Doctor when he didn't want to go?

Overall score: 8/10

World Enough and Time shot off in a highly elevated trajectory, and while I don't believe we have a Heaven Sent-Hell Bent situation against this year, I do feel as though the second part sort of lost its trajectory when compared to the first.

Although if you look at the episode by itself, it's actually really good minus a few nitpicks and is probably one of the greatest finales yet!
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Sat 1 Jul 2017 - 22:31

Not as good as last weeks, why do Cybermen have to stomp. ridiculous and no need for the newer ones.
Liked Missy & Master, great pair.
It will be repeated next Saturday 1.40am BBC 2.
Where did this scene go?
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Sat 1 Jul 2017 - 22:32

Now this is exciting ....
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sun 2 Jul 2017 - 7:37

Again, would be just as exciting for me had I not been told beforehand. I knew it was a rumour already, but my friend gave me official pics.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Sun 2 Jul 2017 - 8:21

I think CO should re-release An Unearthly Child first Doctor, can't see them doing David Bradley.

Last, what happened to that scene with the Master we seen in the trailer as I posted above.
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sun 2 Jul 2017 - 8:39

Admin-Emperor Dalek wrote:I think CO should re-release An Unearthly Child first Doctor, can't see them doing David Bradley.

Last, what happened to that scene with the Master we seen in the trailer as I posted above.
I think they should re-release the Mondasian Cyberman figure as well with a few differences.

Not to sure about that scene, although my best guess would be it was a deleted scene to conserve time. It's definitely on top of the Hospital because of the lighting and the background. Perhaps it was part of a larger scene that was removed altogether to make room for the final scene with 1st doctor? I mean if you look at the episode's duration, it is exactly 60 minutes long and a couple of seconds. You can tell they were very tight about the program's time slot.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalek on Sun 2 Jul 2017 - 9:40

Speaking of time slots, it has majorly annoyed me that, for the past few weeks, they have scheduled the TV episode directly against the Lost Stories on Radio 4 Extra, so I have to listen to the latter at the Midnight repeat and also, for the past three weeks, they haven't put the 'Pure Drama' logo over the opening of the episode-to me, it looks like they aren't showing confidence in the show.
Dalek
The Ninth Doctor's Tardis

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sun 2 Jul 2017 - 11:17

Good point Dalek. I had not noticed they'd stopped doing that. Probably because it isn't Pure Drama anymore but rather Pure Rubbish.

The more I think about the finale, the more I'm starting to dislike it slowly...

At the start of the episode when the Master wheeled the Doctor to the edge of the building, I'm pretty sure that scene was mirroring when the Master wheeled the 10th Doctor to the window of the Valiant. I couldn't stop thinking of "I Can't Decide" during that whole dynamic.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Sun 2 Jul 2017 - 17:36

Some were annoyed at the Pure Drama slogan, I think your reading too much into it Dalek. Though there has been a lack of publicity since the show started. Yes we had Pearl Mackie on Saturday Kitchen, and This Morning and that was that.
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Sun 2 Jul 2017 - 17:42

Question about the Master. As Missy stabbed the Master and he in returned zapped her, won't that have inclinations for his previous selves?
And with Missy stabbing him, shouldn't it of affected her?
Like in the Five Doctors, when the 4th Doctor was stuck in the vortex, it was having an affect on the 5th Doctor, then in the two Doctors, when the second Doctor was changed to an Androgum, it had an affect on the 6th Doctor.
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Sun 2 Jul 2017 - 17:56

Metro  review of The Doctor Falls.
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Sun 2 Jul 2017 - 19:52

Admin-Emperor Dalek wrote:Question about the Master. As Missy stabbed the Master and he in returned zapped her, won't that have inclinations for his previous selves?
And with Missy stabbing him, shouldn't it of affected her?
Like in the Five Doctors, when the 4th Doctor was stuck in the vortex, it was having an affect on the 5th Doctor, then in the two Doctors, when the second Doctor was changed to an Androgum, it had an affect on the 6th Doctor.

In both those cases the Doctor's timeline was being interfered with, Missy was always going to stab her younger self although seemingly smacking him over the back of the head was a new one because she felt that one happening.
The Eternal Dalek
Classic Silurian 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Mon 3 Jul 2017 - 8:11

Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Tue 4 Jul 2017 - 23:14

Missy was going to be pregnant.....read about it here
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 7:10

Oh my, that really would've spoilt time lord biology. I would ask who by, but quite frankly I don't really want to know considering the limited possibilities.

Let's all remember she was a man once, how would this work? I thought time lords were loomed, not born.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 9:28

Lets not get into Time lord biology, good that Moffat is going now I think!
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Fri 7 Jul 2017 - 16:42

Moffat also confirmed Missy would've been impregnated by her former-self...

I hate to admit it, but it would've been slightly cooler if they settled for this ending. Everybody knows Missy/the Master will come back eventually, because let's face it, he never really dies. 

Missy having a permanent sidekick would be cool, and it could perhaps make her feel more emotional and less heartless towards things.

Although I wish it would've been the Doctor's, just to make him feel even worse... and then have it end up being Susan's mother...

Anyway...
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Sat 8 Jul 2017 - 8:31

Oh no, Susan's mother! Almost as bad and confusing as River Song, I am glad he never did that.
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top