Affiliates
free forum

The most tagged keywords

Moffat and regeneration

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Moffat and regeneration

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Mon 5 Jun 2017 - 19:27

Just my opinion.
After the fake regeneration in last Saturdays episode, It annoyed me as I think Moffat has ruined the concept of regeneration. Its supposed to heal and renew a time lord when they are near death, but he has used it like a Sonic Screwdriver! Few examples, River Song uses it in Lets Kill Hitler to kill some German solders, kisses the Doctor to save him in the same story, Angels Take Manhattan the Doctor uses regen energy to heal Rivers wrist, then in the Time of the Doctor he uses it as a weapon against the Daleks!

Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Moffat and regeneration

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Mon 5 Jun 2017 - 20:58

Oh I completely agree. In the Tenth Planet, the regeneration was a simple face changing concept known simply as "renewal". And for the 60s, that was a stroke of pure genius. In homage to that, it should've been kept that way. And for the classic series and the start of the revived era, it was. But after Tennant took over, that's definitely when things became a bit awry. The whole hand in a jar regeneration, I didn't like that back in Series 4, and the fact that River Song even had the ability to regenerate was just stupid. 

When 11 used it against the Daleks as a weapon, I thought that was a bit weak considering regeneration is used to HEAL, and if anything would only make the Daleks stronger. 

Last week's episode was very poorly written. Even if I hated the part of the episode following the fake regen scene, there is still one simple adjustment that could've made it slightly better. Rather than having the fake regeneration, why not have the Doctor announce it was a trick to Bill AFTER he got shot rather than giving it that golden glow effect? It would certainly keep the fanbase from tearing the show down as we have. 

In all honestly, I think the regeneration scene was only written so that it could be thrown into the trailers. It was Moffat's way of "fanbaiting" viewers back on for another series. Obviously people will think "Oh, a regeneration! I'm so excited! Let's tune in!". It's not the first time it's been done this series either. The Daleks and the Movellans alike were fanbait as they had freaking cameo appearances and that's it for the entire series.

I understand that when I hate something so much, I still have to accept that it is what it is. However honestly, this is the only time I've ever felt as if the Producers should actually go back and cut that golden glow fragment out of the scene. Skip from the Doctor being shot to him clasping his hands and boom the scene is fixed. I know that is extremely difficult to do, but after how careless Moffat has been with this episode, fanbaiting and regeneration, I think it's the least we deserve as a sort of "apology" for ruining the show.
LastOfTheSonics
The Sixth Doctor's TARDIS

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Tue 6 Jun 2017 - 16:48

You know Last some interesting points you raise. It also probably Moffat teasing the fans about Capaldi leaving sooner, like in Hell bent, making the time lord general into a woman, no need for that.
But I doubt they would do a scene like that just for a trailer.
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Tue 6 Jun 2017 - 17:40

I wouldn't be surprised. Think about it, if all the "fanbaiting" content was removed from the trailers (The Daleks, the Movellans, the fake regeneration, and the Master), then what else really is there that would hook fans on board the way we have? Sure, there's the Mondasian cybermen, but we already knew about them.

I feel as though the Beeb gave too much away about the series before it began, and there weren't really any surprises left, so they sort of had to use fanbait.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Tue 6 Jun 2017 - 18:28

LastOfTheSonics wrote:I wouldn't be surprised. Think about it, if all the "fanbaiting" content was removed from the trailers (The Daleks, the Movellans, the fake regeneration, and the Master), then what else really is there that would hook fans on board the way we have? Sure, there's the Mondasian cybermen, but we already knew about them.

I feel as though the Beeb gave too much away about the series before it began, and there weren't really any surprises left, so they sort of had to use fanbait.

And last time around people moaned that the BBC weren't putting out enough. They found a point they feel comfortable with and they are sticking to it.
The Eternal Dalek
NUWHO Davros

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Tue 6 Jun 2017 - 20:40

The Eternal Dalek wrote:
LastOfTheSonics wrote:I wouldn't be surprised. Think about it, if all the "fanbaiting" content was removed from the trailers (The Daleks, the Movellans, the fake regeneration, and the Master), then what else really is there that would hook fans on board the way we have? Sure, there's the Mondasian cybermen, but we already knew about them.

And last time around people moaned that the BBC weren't putting out enough. They found a point they feel comfortable with and they are sticking to it.

Hence why they went back on themselves? They said there was going to be a spoiler countdown in the trailer after The Pilot before John Simm appeared, but there wasn't one. Granted most of us knew he was returning by that point, but was it really worth the effort of going back and removing that? 

There's a fine line between not saying enough about a series and being completely unable to stop spewing out a mass amount of spoilers.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top