Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

The most tagged keywords

"The Lie of the Land" - Episode 8

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"The Lie of the Land" - Episode 8

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sat 27 May 2017 - 20:42

This episode is going to be deep, and one of the darkest yet. Missy is back, and there is going to be conflict among the main characters. I'm really looking forward to this episode and I'm intrigued by how Bill's consent has lead the world into despair and disbelief.
LastOfTheSonics
The Sixth Doctor's TARDIS

Back to top Go down

Re: "The Lie of the Land" - Episode 8

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Tue 30 May 2017 - 10:06

Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sat 3 Jun 2017 - 20:35

To me this episode felt a little bit... "misleading". The start of the episode was pure gold and I really had a "Last of the Time Lords" vibe from it. However the fact that the Doctor was staging the whole thing slightly annoyed me considering how emotional I was getting about that scene. I also liked that woman who knew about the propaganda, and the concept of the Memory Police was genius to be honest.

However after Bill discovers the truth about the Doctor, the episode kind of goes downhill. It seemed a little bit cliche with the whole "humans fighting aliens" concept. The ending felt a bit like "Knock Knock" with the villain being defeated quickly and in a rushed sense.

I'm also at a bit of a catch-22 with Missy. While I do like her slowly starting to feel regret and turning slightly towards the good side of things, I can't help but feel as though this completely ruins the Master's entire character. Roger Delgado set in a motion a truly threatening villain all those years ago, someone who was the Doctor's equal. Now look at her, I do feel as though she's been ruined and written carelessly by Toby Whithouse whom I don't really think understands the point of the Master as much.

Now this episode was really good and I don't want to give it a low score, but I was slightly dissatisfied as I was expecting a doctor-lite episode with just Bill and Nardole as the main characters. 

So overall I'm going to give it a 6/10. The first twenty minutes or so were really good, but the ending felt rushed, Missy's scenes felt like useless exposition, the hype leading up to this episode was misplaced, and it just seemed as though the mystery surrounding the Monks kind of dissipated as we still don't know their true names or origins. I now feel as though Extremis is kind of "pointless" as the simulations haven't really been mentioned or given a point since the initial episode.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Sun 4 Jun 2017 - 8:23

I like that review Last. What annoys me is the fake regeneration, so now the Doctor can turn on the 'golden glow' but not regenerate....Moffat has ruined the concept of regeneration, its become silly, what with River as well.
Matt Lucas at times sounded like his character Marjorie of Fat Fighters from Little Britain, mind you Catherine Tate  (Donna companion to the 10th Doctor) at times sounded like the Gran she has played in her series.
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sun 4 Jun 2017 - 10:18

I definitely get what you're saying about Little Britain. Although he also reminded me of his roles in "Come Fly with Me".

And the whole golden glow thing, I agree, has ruined regeneration. I presume the regeneration energy can be used as a weapon as seen before, so there are loads of cliffhanger instances where he could've just done that. I know you could respond with, "oh, well even if it is fake it might take up an incarnation!" but then I would rebutt that with the fact that the whole fake regeneration event was staged, and not a single person in that room was technically a threat (apart from the guy who forgot to switch ammunition), and therefore it would be a waste.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top