Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

The most tagged keywords

"Extremis" - Episode 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Extremis" - Episode 6

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sun 14 May 2017 - 19:48

This episode seems a bit mix and match to be honest. It has recurring themes such as Missy and a complex mystery, but it also has new elements such as the Monk and the mystery behind the Veritas.

My guesses for this episode are that:
-The Doctor will be able to understand the Veritas without dying because he is blind, and perhaps will understand it through braille.
-The regeneration scene from the trailer will be in this episode, curing his blindness, and that the Doctor will slowly regenerate over the rest of the series, which would explain what Cap meant by a more "complicated" regeneration.
-The mystery behind the vault will be revealed at last. I am 100% confident it's John Simm in the vault. It would be more shocking if it was something different, but let's be honest, what else actually could it be?
-This is the first episode in a three-part story, so I'm expecting the Vault reveal will be the cliffhanger.

There are rumours circulating that Osgood will be back at some point during this three-parter, however I implore you to take that with a HUGE grain of salt. There is no proof to suggest this, and I'd imagine if Osgood were returning we'd know by now.

Another rumour is also that "the Monks" are actually the Pyrovilles. At first I believed this, but now I am pessimistic towards this idea. I am also against the possibility that they are actually an evolved stage of the Weeping Angels. But it would be nice.

Oh and one other thing. Yes, River Song's diary is in the episode, well done you can analyse a trailer. What annoys me is how I've seen people saying "River Song is coming back! Oh my!" People, it's OK to have a THEORY, it's not ok to publish a theory as fact as mislead everyone.
LastOfTheSonics
The Sixth Doctor's TARDIS

Back to top Go down

Re: "Extremis" - Episode 6

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Sun 14 May 2017 - 20:38

Steven Moffat was asked to clarify the "three parter" thing in DWM. Basically they are all separate stories, not really a three parter rather just a trilogy of standalone stories (or a tetralogy if you want to include Oxygen as well).

The Doctor is going to be worn down and broken, both physically and psychologically especially given what we know about episodes 7 and 8, they aren't going to be fixing his blindness next week and given John Simm will be in Episode 6 it seems unlikely that if he is in the Vault that it would be the cliffhanger.
The Eternal Dalek
NUWHO Davros

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sun 14 May 2017 - 20:59

No think about it. The vault always seems to have cameo scenes at the end of the episodes, and given it doesn't really look as though it will have any bearings with this upcoming episode, I feel as though it will be at the very end, cliffhanger or not.

I thought all three episodes were connected by "The Monks" though?
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Fri 19 May 2017 - 19:31

I think I know what's in the vault, and it ISN'T Simm.

Look at the latest TV trailer for the episode, at around 4 seconds, the Doctor has the Veritas, and is in a room. The monks begin to surround him. Look at the door in the background. It looks like the exact same shape and size to the door in the vault, perhaps that's how Extremis will come to context? What if going further, the entire Haereticum is actually inside the Vault and the reason why the Doctor is protecting it is because it's another TARDIS?

This is just a basic theory though, and Simm's Master seems to be 115% the answer at this moment in time.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Sat 20 May 2017 - 9:00

Who or what do you think is in the vault? Missy? Simm Master or someone or something else?
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sat 20 May 2017 - 9:23

Well the theory I constructed last night is out there for anyone who wants to believe it, but even I personally disagree with it.

It's definitely John Simm's Master. I don't see anything else it genuinely could be. Especially after the knocking, and how Nardole referred to what's in the vault as "our friend downstairs" at the end of Oxygen. Also the Doctor mentioning "Lots of people getting eaten by the house" seemed like a reference to the Master's hunger in the End of Time to me.

I will be shocked if it actually is something else, but I highly doubt it. It's definitely the Master. I'm not expecting to be shocked tonight.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sat 20 May 2017 - 20:21

Black Mirror... That's all I can say. 

The whole episode was interesting, and on the whole I was enjoying it, but at the same time I was so confused. It was essentially Black Mirror with that twist at the end. 

I wish John Simm's return wasn't announced, because the entire episode at the forefront of my mind was just "When is the Master gonna appear?"

I wish The Monks and Missy alike had both gotten more development in this episode. The whole thing with Missy made no sense, Why was she randomly being executed? What for? And as for the Monks, Who are they? Why did the light suddenly appear at random?

I loved Cap's outfit. The red velvet coat mixed with the hoodie just blended so well together and is probably one of my favourite outfits from his era.

There are still many questions I have with this episode, and also some contextual confusion. I'm looking forward to seeing this story get conveyed in the next episode, but I'm slightly skeptical that this three-parter will have a pleasing climax.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Sat 20 May 2017 - 22:25

The Doctor should of been able to understand Italian, the Tardis is supposed to translate languages.
The Telegraph reports some might be unhappy with the portrayal of the Pope, as a catholic I thought it was fine, not based on the current or the previous Pope.
Telegraph review
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sun 21 May 2017 - 8:15

I was fine with the Pope being Catholic. Although I was annoyed by the TARDIS translation changing its mind. I can understand why it didn't work at the start (because perhaps we were looking from Penny's perspective, and she has never been in the TARDIS hence why it didn't translate, but Bill perhaps did hear it translated as nothing says otherwise). But not long later, in the Doctor's office the Pope says a sentence in English. Then when they arrive in the Vatican it is all Italian again. 

But, I have a solution to this plothole.

The TARDIS is a part of the "computer game", and presumably there was no subroutine for the translator. 

But this still doesn't explain why the Doctor couldn't just understand the Pope anyway, I mean he speaks all human languages.

Anyway, I knew everything was a fake world right from when the Monk said "This is a game". I think the "evil demon" is the Master, and I still think he's in the vault. Missy's regenerations are disabled now, but they said nothing about degeneration.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalek on Sun 21 May 2017 - 19:35

I'm a bit divided on this episode, feel like I need a bit of a rant to determine how I feel.

Bad Points-
The Missy thing could have been done in any episode, and was quite disappointing.
If the entire simulation was in the Doctor's mind, how come Bill and Nardole had separate scenes?
Bill was a bit of a Mary Sue, and the date was a bit irrelevant.
Matt Lucas wasn't really playing Nardole (bar the Missy flashback scenes), he was playing Matt Lucas.

Good Points-
The visuals were absolutely stunning, and the Truth Monks are fantastic monsters.
All of the acting was fantastic too.
There were some really nice set pieces, especially the CERN scene.
Bar the problems above, the script was very good in places.

So overall, I think I'd say maybe 6/10. It was good, but the Missy scenes felt so out of place I can't ignore them.
Dalek
The Ninth Doctor's Tardis

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sun 21 May 2017 - 20:34

Little trivia, the guy who made the internet worked for CERN.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Mon 22 May 2017 - 11:52

I mentioned on Facebook why the Tardis could not translate the Pope. Some say he was speaking an ancient language to old for the Tardis. But all earlier Popes spoke either in Latin or Italian....unless of course it couldn't translate as he was not a real person, just a hologram.
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Mon 22 May 2017 - 13:36

LastOfTheSonics wrote:Little trivia, the guy who made the internet worked for CERN.

World Wide Web, not the internet (that was the American military).

Admin-Emperor Dalek wrote:I mentioned on Facebook why the Tardis could not translate the Pope. Some say he was speaking an ancient language to old for the Tardis. But all earlier Popes spoke either in Latin or Italian....unless of course it couldn't translate as he was not a real person, just a hologram.

He was speaking Italian, people have been able to translate every single word he said.
The Eternal Dalek
NUWHO Davros

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalek on Tue 23 May 2017 - 19:26

Apparently, there's been a bit of an uproar about jokes the Doctor made about one of the old Popes being a woman. I didn't notice these in the episode, does anybody have any idea what they're on about?
Dalek

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Tue 23 May 2017 - 20:28

I am not sure I heard that, if its true then Moffat is taken the p***
The Pope is Gods representative on earth, the first Pope being St. Peter.
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Tue 23 May 2017 - 21:19

The Eternal Dalek wrote:
LastOfTheSonics wrote:Little trivia, the guy who made the internet worked for CERN.

World Wide Web, not the internet (that was the American military).

Admin-Emperor Dalek wrote:I mentioned on Facebook why the Tardis could not translate the Pope. Some say he was speaking an ancient language to old for the Tardis. But all earlier Popes spoke either in Latin or Italian....unless of course it couldn't translate as he was not a real person, just a hologram.

He was speaking Italian, people have been able to translate every single word he said.
Then why didn't the Tardis translate it then?

I came across this Youtuber who has done a review, what is interesting is he is Italian and gives us his thoughts.
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Tue 23 May 2017 - 23:38

Admin-Emperor Dalek wrote:I am not sure I heard that, if its true then Moffat is taken the p***

It was Benedict IX though, who set up an anti-pope, sold the papacy and got deposed for murder, adultery and engaging in certain acts with other men... I don't think the Catholic Church are exactly going to be jumping to his defence.
The Eternal Dalek
NUWHO Davros

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek on Wed 24 May 2017 - 22:29

The Eternal Dalek wrote:
Admin-Emperor Dalek wrote:I am not sure I heard that, if its true then Moffat is taken the p***

It was Benedict IX though, who set up an anti-pope, sold the papacy and got deposed for murder, adultery and engaging in certain acts with other men... I don't think the Catholic Church are exactly going to be jumping to his defence.
Oh no they wouldn't, but I was wondering did the Doctor saying the Pope was a woman.
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Thu 25 May 2017 - 11:11

Admin-Emperor Dalek wrote:
The Eternal Dalek wrote:

Oh no they wouldn't, but I was wondering did the Doctor saying the Pope was a woman.

He doesn't, but we see a painting of "him" and Nardole makes a remark about their "friendship".
The Eternal Dalek
NUWHO Davros

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Thu 25 May 2017 - 18:47

One continuity error I've noticed:

How did the Doctor know about Bill's date with Penny? The only way he even knows about the Shadow World is through everything being recorded by the sonic sunglasses. While Bill does mention she was on a date, she doesn't mention Penny's name at any point. Maybe I've missed something, but I can't find a solution to this error?
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Thu 25 May 2017 - 19:13

LastOfTheSonics wrote:One continuity error I've noticed:

How did the Doctor know about Bill's date with Penny? The only way he even knows about the Shadow World is through everything being recorded by the sonic sunglasses. While Bill does mention she was on a date, she doesn't mention Penny's name at any point. Maybe I've missed something, but I can't find a solution to this error?

We didn't see everything the Doctor saw (and vice versa, we saw things the Doctor didn't).
The Eternal Dalek
NUWHO Davros

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalek on Thu 25 May 2017 - 19:56

Speaking of Penny, just noticed in the DWM cast list she's in the next episode too. Anybody else thinking semi-regular?
Dalek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top