Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Pearl Mackie picks up award
Yesterday at 15:02 by Admin-Emperor Dalek

» Doctor Who series 10 complete box set.
Yesterday at 6:57 by Admin-Emperor Dalek

» Parliament of the Daleks Set
Tue 17 Oct 2017 - 19:06 by dalek fifty

» LastOfTheSonics' Fan Series
Sat 14 Oct 2017 - 9:22 by Dalek

» Unreleased Brigadier figure
Fri 13 Oct 2017 - 14:13 by Admin-Emperor Dalek

» Shada animated out on DVD & Blu ray 4th December.
Tue 10 Oct 2017 - 10:08 by LastOfTheSonics

» Series 11 episode reduction?
Tue 10 Oct 2017 - 9:46 by Admin-Emperor Dalek

» Journey's Beginning
Tue 10 Oct 2017 - 8:33 by Dalek

» Trevour Martin 1930-2017
Sun 8 Oct 2017 - 21:02 by Admin-Emperor Dalek

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

The most tagged keywords

Doctor Who - Into the Time Vortex

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Doctor Who - Into the Time Vortex

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Tue 21 Mar 2017 - 14:24

https://doctorwhotimevortex.com/

Has anyone here been buying these? I've picked up the two Doctor and companion sets, I've got some time off in a couple of weeks and I'll hopefully get some pictures up when I've got them ready.

Any requests?
The Eternal Dalek
Classic Silurian 1

Back to top Go down

Re: Doctor Who - Into the Time Vortex

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Tue 21 Mar 2017 - 20:49

I have the Zygon ones and I have painted them. However, no instructions are provided and mine ended up in an absolute catastrophe. It is near impossible to replicate the colours shown on the promo images. It is worth getting the models, but you'd have to be an expert with the concept and really know what you're doing. They're not for newcomers in my opinion, and I learnt that the hard way.
LastOfTheSonics
The Sixth Doctor's TARDIS

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Wed 22 Mar 2017 - 2:12

LastOfTheSonics wrote:I have the Zygon ones and I have painted them. However, no instructions are provided and mine ended up in an absolute catastrophe. It is near impossible to replicate the colours shown on the promo images. It is worth getting the models, but you'd have to be an expert with the concept and really know what you're doing. They're not for newcomers in my opinion, and I learnt that the hard way.

Honestly it is fairly simple once you get the hang of it. I have quite a few years of experience admittedly, but it's normally recommended to start with plastic figures while learning because they are easier to paint than metal figurines.

The guides on their website give a fairly good idea, but a newcomer would definitely be going in blind and not understand what the guides actually mean. This is the steps you would take:

1. Coat the entire figure in a single colour, this is called the base coat and is normally black (although they recommend grey on their website which seems a little odd).

2. Once dried, paint the figure the rough colour you are going for. For your Zygon this will be dark red all over, multi-coloured figures will of course require different paints for different parts of the figure. Again, leave to dry.

3. Next, details are added. This is the crucial technique which is incredibly easy but not explained well here at all. You'll take a very small amount of paint in the next colour and wipe most of it off into a paper towel, leaving only a small amount on the brush. You then run your brush over the figure gently, which means "highlighted" areas pick up the paint but deeper recesses do not. This is called "dry brushing".

4. You now have a complete figure. Normally painters then start adding stuff to the base to "blend in" to the board but honestly, you don't need to do this, in the 12 years I've been painting figurines I've only ever done minimal work as it can distract from the figure (I'll probably give the bases a coloured rim so that the name stands out).

So let's translate the paint guide on their website:

So, assuming you have a base coated figure, you will next apply the first colour recommended (so "Chaotic Red" for the skin and leaving the hands and feet black). The next colours listed are your dry brush colours, so you dry brush the area "Dragon Red" then follow this with a dry brush of "Tanned Flesh" (or whatever they are named in your choice of paint range), and then "Uniform Grey" to the hands and feet.

If you aren't too sure about dry brushing, try it out on the base rim first. Paint it black, then try it out on the bit with the name. You should be able to highlight the name and therefore paint the base, while leaving the letters themselves black (like you can see in the above picture).
The Eternal Dalek
Classic Silurian 1

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Mon 3 Apr 2017 - 18:35

I've applied the base coats to the figures. I will give updates as I go. If anyone has any particular requests let me know.
The Eternal Dalek
Classic Silurian 1

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Sun 9 Apr 2017 - 14:18

Doctors painted. Quite pleased with how Capaldi turned out. Tennant could do with a few touch ups for extra details later on.
The Eternal Dalek
Classic Silurian 1

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sun 9 Apr 2017 - 16:31

At least someone's went well.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Sun 9 Apr 2017 - 16:51

LastOfTheSonics wrote:At least someone's went well.

The first lot of plastic figures are due to be up for pre-order in the next couple of weeks and they tend to be a lot easier to paint than the metal figures. It's just unfortunate how the releases fell, but they were left with the choice of creating a massive backlog of figures until the starter set was ready or putting the metal figures out first.
The Eternal Dalek
Classic Silurian 1

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Sat 20 May 2017 - 16:56

Game box pre-orders have been sent out, recieved mine today. Rules seem decent enough, fairly good painting guide for the Daleks and Cybermen included.
The Eternal Dalek
Classic Silurian 1

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sat 20 May 2017 - 17:10

Don't know if you've painted them yet, but if not, please can you show me how they look unpainted? If you have painted them already, would you say it's fine to leave them unpainted?
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Sat 20 May 2017 - 17:47

LastOfTheSonics wrote:Don't know if you've painted them yet, but if not, please can you show me how they look unpainted? If you have painted them already, would you say it's fine to leave them unpainted?

I'll put some pictures up when I get back home tonight so you can see them. I'd say they are fine to leave unpainted. Obviously the colours aren't ideal, but it would be fine if you want to leave them unpainted. I might try painting one and then giving a comparison between the two but that might take a bit longer.

Only thing in terms of gameplay might be trying to keep track of who's who (the game recommends having a "force leader" and gives special rules for a Black Dalek and a Cyber Leader which obviously painting would help with).
The Eternal Dalek
Classic Silurian 1

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sat 20 May 2017 - 18:47

Ah ok great. I'll probably leave mine unpainted if I get it, thanks Eternal Dalek.
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Sun 21 May 2017 - 17:04

LastOfTheSonics wrote:Ah ok great. I'll probably leave mine unpainted if I get it, thanks Eternal Dalek.

Here's the Dalek, Cyberman and Missy for comparison of the three base materials.

Couldn't get a good comparison of painted versus unpainted, but they definitely benefited from a touch of paint.
The Eternal Dalek
Classic Silurian 1

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sun 21 May 2017 - 17:27

Ah thanks Eternal Dalek. I suppose it really depends on whether you just want to play the board game or if you want dedicated models I suppose.

I might define a cyberleader and a Supreme Dalek with a touch of black paint, but beyond that I'm not too bothered about going overboard to paint them all. They're like mini versions of those robert harrop pewter designs I guess.

One more question, are the Cybermen balanced on those token bases or do they connect to them?
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Sun 21 May 2017 - 19:41

LastOfTheSonics wrote:Ah thanks Eternal Dalek. I suppose it really depends on whether you just want to play the board game or if you want dedicated models I suppose.

I might define a cyberleader and a Supreme Dalek with a touch of black paint, but beyond that I'm not too bothered about going overboard to paint them all. They're like mini versions of those robert harrop pewter designs I guess.

One more question, are the Cybermen balanced on those token bases or do they connect to them?

Cybermen have built in bases, some of the Cybermats are loose and designed to be put on the token bases in sets of three, they seem to roll around a lot.
The Eternal Dalek
Classic Silurian 1

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Sun 21 May 2017 - 20:32

Ah ok. I suppose that could be annoying. Thanks for the help.

I presume in the game they are one of the cards you can play?
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Sun 21 May 2017 - 20:48

LastOfTheSonics wrote:Ah ok. I suppose that could be annoying. Thanks for the help.

I presume in the game they are one of the cards you can play?

Yes. The groups of three represent "swarms".
The Eternal Dalek
Classic Silurian 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalek on Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 10:15

Here's one of the latest announcements, a set of three Vashta Nerada from Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead.

Gathering in swarms many thousands strong, the Vashta Nerada are microscopic beings living mostly in the dark and appearing in the light as a shadow cast by nothing. Their name means ‘Shadows that melt the flesh’ – a large swarm of Vashta Nerada can strip the flesh from a creature in milliseconds.
Dalek
The Ninth Doctor's Tardis

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics on Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 10:21

There is also a new Sea Devil set!

LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eternal Dalek on Fri 11 Aug 2017 - 14:09

Two new sets out (available from their website: https://doctorwhotimevortex.com/ )

As a word of warning, they will be releasing the Fisher King as a loyalty bonus when you spend a certain amount of money from their website, so if you are planning a big purchase it might be worth holding off. Additionally there are cards and rules being retroactively added to the older packs (including these ones) over the coming months so be cautious (they'll be available as free PDFs as well though so if you are fine printing off your own you are fine).

The Eternal Dalek
Classic Silurian 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top